20 Mar 2017

Satinder Chohan



Looking through my archives this week I couldn't believe that I'd never posted these images of writer Satinder Chohan. I love working with natural light and with my trusty 50mm f1.8 lens and this shoot was just the perfect example of why I think simple is best.



Shot on commission for Tamasha Theatre, they're some of my favourite portraits ever. Not to blow my own trumpet - much of this is down to Satinder's natural charisma and beauty - but there is also something a little bit Leibovitz about the lighting here. Just goes to show that ingenuity goes a long way, since Satinder and I had limited time together and we found a black builder's hoarding as a backdrop for our shoot in the Docklands! 

The light was that perfectly crisp yet refracted winter sun, bouncing off buildings to wrap and define her striking features (and her incredible hair, which reaches to her knees and shines like silk). 

I also shot promotional and rehearsal images for Satinder's powerful drama about modern motherhood and the politics of surrogacy, Made in India, which is currently touring and getting great reviews so do catch it if it's at a venue near you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment